What are my rights as an adult carer?

"Looking after someone" is a guide for anyone caring for family or friends. The guide outlines your rights as a carer and gives an overview of the practical and financial support available.


What are my rights as a young carer or young adult carer?

Young carers and young adult carers in England have the right to information and to an assessment of the support they need from the local authority.  A free guide produced by Carers Trust explain what should happen when you talk to the local authority about being a young carer or young adult carers.  

Know your Rights: Support for Young Carers and Young Adult Carers in England

What are my rights as a working carer?

Juggling work and care can be very challenging, so it is important to find out about your rights.  The law gives you "statutory rights" which everyone has. Your contract of employment gives you "contractual rights" which can be more generous than statutory rights

Carers UK has produced a Summary of the Statutory Rights in Work which may be of interest to you.

How do I get help for the person I am looking after?

If you, or the person you are looking after, are assessed by the local council as needing support, then you or they may be eligible to receive services such as Direct Payments, home-based care and/or an Emergency Back-Up Plan.

You can contact Brighton & Hove Access Point on 01273 295 555 or Carers Hub on 01273 977 000 for more information.


What welfare benefits are available for me as a carer?

Some carers can claim Carer's Allowance but there are many other benefits and credits that you may be able to get. 

You may be able to claim Carer's Allowance.

The person you care for may be qualified for welfare benefits for being disabled or having a long-term health condition.

Tax Credits and Income Support can help top up your income.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support can help with rented housing costs if you have a low income. You may also be able to get help heating your home.  

You may be able to get help with health and care costs including paying for dental treatment, free prescriptions and paying for care and support services.

Carer's Credit is not a benefit but will help make sure you will still have a state pension even if your caring responsibilities mean that you can't work.

Pension Credit is extra money for pensioners on a low income.

Contact the Council's Welfare Rights Team if you require more in-depth advice.  They can be contacted on their public adivce line on Monday 10am to 1pm on 01273 291 116.

Should I give up work to care?

If you are thinking of leaving work it is important to consider the full implications it could have on your income, quality of life and future pension entitlements.  It is worth to explore any options which might make juggling work and care more manageable. 

Go to Carers UK's "Thinking of Leaving Work" page or contact Carers Hub on 01273 977 000 for more information.  

I have another question...

Is your question not answered here?

Contact us and we will answer it.