Guidance – About our Service
(Please share this information with the family that you are referring):
The Young Carers Project (YCP) is part of Brighton and Hove Carers Hub, which is managed by the Carers Centre. We provide a range of support to Young Carers aged 6-17 who live in the city of Brighton and Hove.
- We define a ‘Young Carer’ as anyone between these ages that is significantly impacted by the health, disability or substance misuse of a close relative. This means someone they live with or see on a daily basis. THE HEALTH CONDITION MUST BE MEDICALLY DIAGNOSED.
- If you are working with a carer aged 18+, please contact the Carers Hub on 01273 977 000 and ask to register them as an Adult or Young Adult Carer.
- Depending on the needs of each Young Carer, an intervention with the YCP may consist of one or more of the following:
- 1-2-1 emotional support around the child’s experiences as a Young Carer to build their resilience
- Opportunities to socialise with other Young Carers at drop-in evenings and school holiday activities
- Advocacy services to assist a family in their liaison with other professionals on issues relating to the caring role
- Advice on making transitions in life and how their caring role may be affected
- Workshops to increase Young Carers’ knowledge and understanding of their relative’s condition
What we ask of Referrers:
- Please attach a Strengthening Families Assessment, TAF report or another summary of the work the family have already undertaken if available
- Please ensure that the family give their consent to THE CARERS CENTRE AND THE LOCAL AUTHORITY holding their information on our secure databases before you refer them (in line with GDPR)
- Please complete the form as thoroughly as possible. The section on the child / young person’s perceptions is especially important as it gives us a great advantage when we plan the allocation of each referral and the subsequent intervention